Monday, September 1, 2008

Drumroll please.....I'm back!

Sorry it' been so long. What a crazy month it has been! I have a lot to catch up on, but I'll get to that later. The important thing is that I have photos of my performance as Amneris in AIDA. The show closed yesterday, August 30th. The photos here are from my performance night, August 20th. I do have some video, but I haven't watched it. If I deem it worthy and can figure out how, I will post some of it. But for now, the photos will do.

Let me just say that the actress I was understudying is built very differently than I am, so the costumes didn't fit me quite the way they should, especially the strapless numbers. Having 4 kids expands your rib cage so they were TIGHT! I'll share my start of the show story at the end of the photos. There are lots of pictures of the whole show at www.signatureproductions.net.Aidaphotospage.htm if you want to see more. It was an absolutely amazing show and I couldn't be more proud of my husband who directed it and designed costumes. I was the production manager which is really just the fancy term for the one who does all the directors dirty work. I also technically designed hair and makeup, but the entire makeup credit goes to Alda Tomasic. And, she watched Lola backstage during the show some nights with her daughter. She's AWESOME!

Of course, my dear friend Valinda (onceuponacostume.blogspot.com) did most of the costumes. I only say most because some of my costumes were purchased. I'll make sure to label in the photos which ones she built.

I had a total blast on my night. It was really fun to get up there, wear pretty costumes, belt my guts out and take an amazing journey. I can't wait to do it again sometime.

So, to preface the first photo, at the beginning of the show, I am lifted out of the ground on to the platform. Very dramatic, very cool! It's hard to capture the effect in photos, but you get the idea.

Sandra Huntsman as Amneris in SST/Signature Productions
Elton John & Tim Rices AIDA - August 20, 2008
Costume built by Valinda Gubler

"Every Story is a Love Story"

An egyptian pharoah, Amneris, narrates the story of a war torn egypt.

This was the tightest costume! It's amazing I was even able to get it on. In hindsight, I wish I would have put a piece in the back. Steve said I sounded nervous in this number, but in reality, I couldn't breath. And the fact that me feet could get no further than shoulder length apart didn't help. But, hey - it was worth it. It's a FABULOUS piece!

My dramatic exit from that number

"My Strongest Suit"
Amneris is a vain and wordly princess who's biggest care in life is her wardrobe.
This was my BIG number! It's total fun. I hope to post a video of it.

Belting my LUNGS out!

I loved the choreography in this number - so fun! Thanks Keith and Shannon

In the middle, I ran off to make a costume change - into my couture gown. This number is all about clothes, afterall - "I am what I wear, and how I dress" - ROCKIN!

Can you believe Valinda MADE this amazing piece! So fun! And, I have to be proud of those legs after 4 kids.

All the ensemble girls were in black and white, so I really made a splash!

And now, a more elegant look. At the banquet with Brandon Albright as Radames.

Another view. Valinda made this one, too - and Radames' costume as well.


A group shot - the show was stunning.

Sharing a bonding moment with Tai Lewis as Aida. The woman is FIERCE! She tore down the house every single night. Amazing.

Just for story purposes - Amneris is betrothed to the egyptian capatain, Radames, but he falls in love with the captured slave, Aida - who is secretly the Nubian princess. He gives Aida to Amneris as a present, but Aida soon becomes good friends with Amneris as well. Setting them up for certain heartbreak, as love triangles often do.

"Are you trying to get me drunk, Radames"
Radames comes to see Aida after she tells him off, but he has to get rid of Amneris, first.


He's just toying with me, trying to get rid of me.

Yup. I'm wearing a sheet. Hey - don't keep a fiesty princess waiting. We had been engaged for 9 years!


My FAVORITE costume - courtesy of Valinda.

"Not Me" - Sandra Huntsman as Amneris, Brandon Albright as Radames and Tai Lewis as Aida

How could love be so confusing?

Things get darker as Amneris realizes her betrothed doesn't seem to be thinking of her...

As the love triangle is lost in thought in "A Step Too Far"

This was one of my favorite numbers and extra cool because I helped Steve develop the concept for the number that ended up being very powerful! Yay!

Oh, and Valinda made Radames' and Tai's costumes, but mine was a purchased evening gown. I loved it - it made me feel so glamarous!


Amneris discovers the truth - that Aida and Radames are desperately in love.

"I Know the Truth"

However, if she betrays them, they will die, so she goes through with the wedding. Bianca Guevara and Lauren Basch are the handmaidens.

"I Know the Truth"

We bought this dress - at David's Bridal back in March for $99! What a buy!

But the lovers are caught and Amneris must confront their betrayal. Joel Abelson as a soldier and Tai Lewis as Aida.

She has compassion for Radames and Aida - her friends, and though she must sentence them to death, she allows them to die together.


And we come full circle - Amneris is made Pharaoh, giving way to a reign of peace in the land

and the story continues in another life.

The End!

2 comments:

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

u look fabulous girl!

Safire said...

Looks fantastic! Glad you had a good time!