Thursday, September 25, 2008

Smart Like That

*"Smart Like That" from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Piper had a really hard time with Kindergarten last year. Right before spring break last year, her teacher pulled me aside and said we should consider holding her back. She was crying before school every day, struggling with her studies - just generally miserable. I didn't know what to do. I felt like I should have waited a year to start her - her birthday is July 25th so she's one of the youngest if not the youngest in her class. We gave it some time and she got better - she quit crying and her work improved, so her teacher and I decided we would send her on.

Well, I know we've only had a month of school, but Piper is flourishing! She has only gotten 1 B on one paper so far, the rest have been A's. She aced her first spelling test and I think she will tomorrow. She comes right home and does her homework and does the whole week's work in one or two nights. She makes me check it to make sure it's all right and she's very particular about getting it ready for school. I know some of her enthusiasm will wear off, but I'm excited to see her doing so well in school!! YAY!

2 comments:

The Winkel Family said...

YAY! GO Piper!!! :D Proud of you, little lady! Love ya!

Valinda said...

I always knew Piper was a smart girl! I'm glad she's doing so much better.