Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist this graphic! I mean, I enjoyed the books and even the movie, but c'mon, people? Obsessed much! Oh, I can't wait to knit my first fang warmers.....)

I went to the midnight show tonight with my fantastic friend Valinda. I have to say, I loved it! I thought it was a very good adaptation of the book.

I really liked Kristen Bell and I didn't think I would. I thought she played it just right! Awkward but still attractive, brooding but not too negative and mature but not too old.

I was satisfied with Edward. I think they picked his cheesiest stuff for the previews - I was worried I would hate him. The only thing that drove me MAD about him was his dreadful american accent. He kept changing American dialects - sometimes he was very midwest, sometimes a bit southern and a lot of times, very New Jersey - dropping his r's and everything. I would have preferred they tell him to adopt a classic American accent with a hint of English - very appropriate considering he was born in the early 1900's if my memory serves. I'd look it up, but my BIL borrowed the book.

Even though his part was limited, I ADORED Jacob. If I picture him like that, maybe I can re-read the first half of New Moon - I skipped it the second time I read it. I REALLY hope that they get to make the sequels (well, I'm not sure how I would feel about Breaking Dawn being a movie to be honest) but I want more Jacob! He's the perfect smiling, happy go lucky, fun alternative to Edwards dark satirical yet somehow irresistable anti-hero.

The cinemetography made me a little naseaus at times, but it was effective. I think they made an honest attempt to portray the two falling in love, but if I hadn't read the book and known the thought process, I would have been a bit confused I think. But, to me - that is always the challenge of any love story. Showing a relationship develop is SO tough! Think about how many stories fall really short - almost every fairytale does and I group Twilight in the fairy tale catagory because Vampires aren't real! In a way, Edward is a Prince and Bella is a commoner who wants to be a princess. Jacob is the town cobbler who pines for the headstrong daughter of the town judge and nearly woos her away, but alas, a maiden always goes for the prince, doesn't she?

Anyway, I can only think of 2 movies offhand that really leave me satisfied regarding a love story - and those are Anastasia and Beauty and the Beast. Through limited glimpses, you see how they fall in love. I love the "sexual" tension between Dimitri and Anastasia, but it never gets so ugly that you don't believe they are falling in love. And Belle is so dynamic, so brave, so sure of herself you love watching her chip away at the Beast and even helping him find his inner self. Cinderella could never do that! But I digress...

It left me wanting more, which is what the book series did (well, I felt it ended well with finality so I was content at the end of the series)but each book left me wanting to know more about their story.

SPOILER!!! If you haven't seen it yet, don't read this part!

I did NOT like the ending. I liked the thought of the ending, the concept of the ending and that it left it wide open for a sequel. BUT - sorry - Edward would have heard Victoria's thoughts. And Victoria doesn't really have her day until the 3rd book/movie if they stay close to the material so it was a little weird to lead out with that, I don't know how else they would do a compelling segue. But whatever. Edward would have known she was that close.
I did, however, like that it was Bella's choice to go to prom, even if it was in leggings and a tennis shoe. That's the one thing that always bugged me about Bella - no fun, always giving in to Alice's will, not doing things her own way! This put it in her court. Although I would have liked to see Alice and Jasper and Rosalee and oh crap, it's 4am - what's his name at the Prom.
I loved Laurent, James and Victoria, by the way. I'd like to see her(Victoria) have her day, as well as the rest of the Cullen/Hale family. Carslisle creeped me out a bit because that is EXACTLY how I pictured him. I didn't love Rosalee - but the rest were good fits. It's hard to judge too much, they didn't have a lot to do becuase most of Twilight is all about Bella and Edward. I thought Alice was the cutest and I loved her foot point when she pitched baseball. Clearly the girl is a dancer!

I look forward to hearing from someone who hasn't read the book to see what they think. Oh, and I did think the special effects were a little cheesy, which worries me should we venture to Italy in the next film, if there is one, and meet the Volturi.

Regardless - FUN TIMES!!!!

1 comment:

Valinda said...

Emmett. Yeah Rosealie was a little off she was too...curvy? soft looking? The ending wasn't my favorite either but it was fun watching with a bunch of obsessed teenagers. I'm glad I drug you out there!