Friday, June 20, 2008

For Glenn - A journey!

In the theatre, things are recyled - sets, props, actors - even WIGS! In Beauty and the Beast, I have recycled several wigs from past productions, but the one of greatest importance to me is Andrea (pronounced Ahh -n-drae-uh). And my new friend, Glenn, aka "the understudy" who tirelessly filled in for actors who could not be at rehearsals. And he was fabulous, by the way! Someone give this man a SHOW! Anyway, here is Andrea's original purpose. It was my wig in Once on This Island where I played the role of - you guessed it, Andrea. The next time Andrea made it onstage was on my husband, Steve, as The Mysterious Man in Into the Woods. Now, granted, it was in disguised. It was loaded with white/gray dreadlocks and hair pieces, and covered with a really cool hat, but it was there, nonetheless, I promise.
A few years later, Andrea was found on Steve once again. This time as Levi in Joseph and the Amazing Techicolor Dreamcoat.
When it appeared onstage again, it was on pirate Starky in Peter Pan - played by another Steve - Steve McMillan. My Steve, however, directed the show and it was fantastic. Well, it seems the Andrea wig has the touch to make whatever show it is in truly great!
Finally, here she is on Glen - the Baker/Cheesegrater/Man chased by Chip/understudy. I don't quite know how she ended up only on Men since I cast her off, but they have all worn her well. I think Andrea needs to continue on in every show from now on - somewhere. She's good luck, afterall!
Thanks for sharing our journey through the past!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sandra, thanks for the great wig tribute. I truly have been honored to wear Andrea in BATB. Thanks for everything and I look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Love Ya!
Glen